In 2013 we prepared a historic resources report for Daniel Bagley Hall on the University of Washington campus, focusing on best practices for maintaining the historic character of the 1936 Art Deco-style building, while upgrading, repairing, and replacing roofs. We offered a historic preservation perspective on the best means of retrofitting the roofing systems to decrease energy consumption.
One of our primary objectives for this project was to minimize wherever possible the visual impact of the changes, as seen from below. We recommended that the added copper roofs match the existing copper roofs, and that in some sections the parapet height be raised to maintain proper roof function. We developed several ways to achieve these objectives while adhering to the Secretary of the Interior's Standards for Historic Preservation. Ultimately, our recommendation was the option that best maintained the look of the original building, while remaining visually distinct enough to be identifiable as a later addition.
Bagley Hall, located next to Drumheller Fountain and south of Suzzallo Library and Red Square, was built on the former site of the Agriculture Building of the Alaska-Yukon-Pacific Exposition of 1909. The building was completed in 1936 in an Art Deco style also known as Works Public Administration Moderne, and was designed to house the Chemistry department. Initially dubbed the Chemistry and Pharmacy Building, the name was changed to Daniel Bagley Hall the following year. Today, Bagley Hall still houses the Chemistry Department.