UW Daniel Bagley Hall–Roof Replacement
Art Deco / Works Public Administration Moderne, Warren L. Beuschlein and S.G. Powell for the WPA, with Carl F. Gould and H.K. Benson – 1936
University of Washington, Seattle, WA
Historical & Community Significance
We worked with the University of Washington and their architect S. M. Stemper to help create a historically-sensitive and environmentally-friendly replacement to the roof systems of Bagley Hall. Built to house the chemistry department on the former site of the Agriculture Building of the Alaska-Yukon-Pacific Exposition of 1909, the Art Deco building style was also known as Public Works Administration (PWA) Moderne. Initially dubbed the Chemistry & Pharmacy Building, the following year the name was changed to Daniel Bagley Hall, after the Reverend Daniel Bagley, who had been an essential force in founding the University of Washington in Seattle. Today, Bagley Hall continues to house the chemistry department.
Preservation Consulting Services included
- Prepared a Historic Resources Addendum Report for the University of Washington in 2013 which discussed the historic significance of the building as well as current conditions.
- Served as consulting historic architects to the architect of record, Stemper, for the Roof replacement project. Offered a historic preservation perspective on the best means of retrofitting the roofing systems to decrease energy consumption. Prepared a historic resources report focusing on best practices for maintaining the building’s historic character, while upgrading, repairing, and replacing roofs. Ultimately, our recommendation was the option that best maintained the look of the original building, while remaining visually distinct enough to be identifiable as a later addition.
- One of the primary objectives was to minimize wherever possible the visual impact of the changes, as seen from below, by adding copper roofs to match the existing copper roofs and raising the parapet height in some sections to maintain proper roof function.
- Adhered to the Secretary of the Interior’s Standards for Historic Preservation.
Contemporary photos by Studio TJP