The groundbreaking for a new school, named the Seattle Seminary, took place on October 29, 1891, and the four-story masonry building, designed by Seattle architect John Parkinson, was completed in April of 1893. John Parkinson prepared the plans and specifications, and a construction contract was let to C.G. Slayton and Co. The school’s only building, originally nicknamed the “Red Brick Building” (later Alexander Hall), was only barely completed and without furniture or fittings when Alexander and Adelaide Beers arrived from Virginia to serve as the school’s first faculty. The building served all the school’s functions, with classrooms, a library, administrative offices, a chapel, as well as serving as a dormitory for teachers and students alike.
Alexander Hall was placed on the Washington Heritage Register in 1972.
Read more about Alexander Hall in the Landmark Nomination report we prepared. There will be a public hearing in front of the Landmarks Board on May 15, 2013, to determine whether the building should be nominated as a City of Seattle Landmark.